Having worked through this module you will have learned:
- The effects that a stroke may have on a person’s bladder and bowel
- The interrelationship between bladder and bowel function in people who have experienced stroke
- How to assess bladder function and identify different types of post stroke urinary dysfunction.
- How to assess bowel function and identify the type and cause of difficulties experienced following stroke.
- How to develop and implement evidence based management plans appropriate to the identified bladder and/or bowel problem that promote the recovery of function and return of continence.
The 4 patient scenarios / cases have covered the following 4 continence dysfunctions:
- Urge urinary incontinence
- Incomplete emptying
- Faecal impaction with overflow diarrhoea
- Functional incontinence
Page last reviewed: 28 Apr 2020