On completion of this module you should have a critical understanding of the relevance and importance of monitoring in acute stroke patients, understanding the relevance and the implications of investigation and management of individual patients. Further resources can on this topic can be found below.
The answers to all the test questions are contained within the module. This information may be provided in the ‘Additional Information’ on some of the pages.
NB: Information within this module is due to be reviewed. Updated content will appear here shortly.
- Appleton J.P., Sprigg N., Bath P.M. (2016) Blood pressure management in acute stroke. Stroke and Vascular Neurology. 1:e000020 DOI: 10.1136/svn-2016-000020
- Ciccone A., Celani M.G., Chiaramonte R., Rossi C., Righetti E. (2013) Continuous versus intermittent physiological monitoring for acute stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 May 31;(5):CD008444. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008444.pub2. PMID: 23728675.
- Ferdinand, P., Roffe, C. (2016) Hypoxia after stroke: a review of experimental and clinical evidence. Experimental and Translational Stroke Medicine. 8(9) DOI: 10.1186/s13231-016-0023-0
- Hurford R., Sekhar A., Hughes T.A.T., Muir K.W. (2020) Diagnosis and management of acute ischaemic stroke. Practical Neurology 2020;20:304-316.
- Li, J., Wang, D., Tao, W., Dong, W., Zhang, J., Yang, J., & Liu, M. (2016) Early consciousness disorder in acute ischemic stroke: incidence, risk factors and outcome. BMC Neurology, 16(1), 140. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12883-016-0666-4
- MacLeod M., Hankey G.J., Gorelick P.B., Chen C., Caprio F.Z., Mattle H. (Eds.). (2019) Warlow’s Stroke: Practical Management. (4th ed) John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Middleton S., McElduff P., Ward J., Gimshaw J.M., Dale S., D’Este C., Drury P., Griffiths R., Wah Cheung N., Quinn C., Evans, M., Cadihac D., Levi C. on behalf of the QASC Trialists Group. (2011) Implementation of evidence-based treatment protocols to manage fever, hyperglycaemia, and swallowing dysfunction in acute stroke (QASC): a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 378(9804), 1699-1706. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61485-2
- National Clinical Guideline for Stroke (2016)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2019) Stroke and transient ischaemic attack in over 16s: diagnosis and initial management. [NICE Guideline 128] https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng128
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. (2014). Atrial Fibrillation Management [NICE Guideline 180] https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg180
- Quinn T.J., Dawson J., Walters M.R. (2011) Sugar and stroke: cerebrovascular disease and blood glucose control. Cardiovascular Therapeutics.;29(6):e31-42. DOI: 10.1111/j.1755-5922.2010.00166.x.
- Royal College of Physicians (2016) National clinical guideline for stroke (5th ed). Royal College of Physicians. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/guidelines-policy/stroke-guidelines
- Seners P., Turc G., Oppenheim C., Baron J. (2015) Incidence, causes and predictors of neurological deterioration occurring within 24 hours following acute ischaemic stroke: a systematic review with pathophysiological implications. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 86: 87-94 DOI: 10.1136/jnnp-2014-308327
- Smith J, Rushton MA, Barker M (2019) How to measure a patient’s temperature non-invasively. Nursing Standard. doi: 10.7748/ns.2019.e11346
- Teasdale G., Maas A., Lecky F., Manley G., Stocchetti N., Murray G. (2014) The Glasgow Coma Scale at 40 years: standing the test of time. Lancet Neurology 13(8):844-54 DOI: 10.1016/s1474-4422(14)70120-6
- Wästfelt, M., Cao, Y., & Ström, J. O. (2018). Predictors of post-stroke fever and infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Neurology, 18(1):49 DOI: 10.1186/s12883-018-1046-z
Module lead Dr Anne Rowat, Lecturer, Edinburgh Napier University. Group members Abbi Tracey, Lecturer in Adult Nursing, University of the...
Blood Pressure and Heart Rate Jean is a 79 year old lady who lives alone and was found on the...
Blood Glucose Bob, a 59 year old man weighing 28 stone, was in the fish and chip shop when he...
Temperature, Respiratory Rate and Oxygen Level Archie is a 69-year-old retired accountant who was admitted to hospital after waking from...
Glasgow coma scale Background information on the Glasgow coma scale (GCS) The Glasgow coma scale (GCS) is a is a...
Physiological monitoring is the measurement of parameters allowing for early detection of any abnormalities and potential deleterious changes so that...
Page last reviewed: 12 Oct 2020