- Increased cholesterol is associated with increased risk of future vascular events
- Statins should be considered after ischaemic stroke to reduce the risk of subsequent stroke
- Statins are a family of drugs, although simvastatin is usually the first choice
- Statins are metabolised in the liver
- Statins occasionally have adverse effects. It is useful to know the common ones so that the dose can be reduced or an alternative statin substituted
- Reducing dietary fats has been shown to provide significant protection from cardiovascular events
- Using statins combined with a low fat diet is the optimum treatment option.