Introduction and Learning Points
This activity explores the knowledge and skills required by health and social care staff to recognise the signs of swallowing problems following stroke and the effects that these may have on a person who has had a stroke.
NB: Information within this module is due to be reviewed. Updated content will appear here shortly.
- Describe the signs of swallowing problems following stroke
- Describe the effects of swallowing difficulties following stroke on an individual’s fluid balance, nutritional state and general well being
- Identify the potential risks associated with swallowing difficulties
- Explain how swallowing difficulties following stroke are documented and communicated by staff
- Identify strategies which may be used to assist an individual with swallowing difficulties following stroke
- Explain the first aid treatment of choking
Page last reviewed: 16 Oct 2020