Having worked through this module you will have learnt:
- The procedures for screening patients in the acute phase of stroke to determine nutritional risk, hydration and the presence of a swallowing difficulty.
- Management of patients with swallowing difficulties post stroke.
- Management of non-oral feeding methods used post stroke: nasogastric tube and gastrostomy tube feeding.
- Management of hydration following stroke.
- Oral health conditions and maintenance of optimal oral health following stroke.
- Ethical issues around oral, non-oral feeding and hydration post stroke.
- Importance of involving patients and families in decision-making following stroke.
Page last reviewed: 17 Feb 2020